To view this article as a PDF, please click here.
The Australian Government has launched a program to provide grants to support small and medium hotels to reduce their energy use and improve energy productivity. Small to medium sized hotels, motels or serviced apartments with 1 to 99 guestrooms that are available to be booked on a nightly basis are invited to apply for grants from $10,000 to $25,000.
The key components of the program are:
- The program opens on 24 February 2021;
- The program closes on 1 April 2021;
- The project must be completed by 30 June 2022;
- Individuals and trusts with individual trustees are ineligible to apply;
- The program must be used for eligible activities listed in the guidelines. Applications that do not meet the guidelines will not be considered;
- Consent must be sought if you are not the owner of the hotel, motel or serviced apartments;
- Licensed tradespeople must be used to install equipment (where applicable); and
- You have not received a grant under the Energy Efficient Communities Program.
Examples of eligible activities are:
- Replacing air conditioners with more efficient units;
- Replacing hot water heaters with a more efficient units;
- Install swimming pool cover to currently uncovered heated pool; and
- Replace non-LED lighting with LED lighting.
Electricity is a major cost to most industries. As there is only $10.2m available, we believe there will be high interest for this grant. Time is of the essence!
Further information about the program and to apply can be found at https://business.gov.au/grants-and-programs/hotel-energy-uplift-program.
If you have any questions or require any assistance with the grant, please contact our office.